Plant-powered food just doesn’t get any better than Latin-flavored fare. Take these Vegetable Fajitas, for example, which are completely plant-based (vegan) and gluten-free. Grilled savory chunks of vegetables sautéed with spices and herbs, served with earthy beans and rustic corn tortillas, and a dollop of creamy guacamole. Are you hungry yet?
In fact, as a long-time plant-based eater, veggie fajitas is my go-to order when dining out at a Mexican restaurant. I know that I will get a satisfying plant-based meal, and usually enough to bring home for leftovers the next day. I was inspired to create my own flavorful fajita recipe, based on the traditional elements of this classic restaurant fare. And I’m sharing the results with you today.
This recipe is so easy, too. You simply sauté assorted vegetables, such as onion, bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, and garlic, add herbs and spice, warm up some beans and corn tortillas, and voila, dinner is on the table in 20 minutes.
Best of all, the ingredients in this recipe are easy to find and keep on hand. In fact, it’s a great recipe to take advantage of a summer garden (or your neighborhood farmers market), when zucchini, peppers, cilantro, and tomatoes are plentiful. You can also swap out the ingredients for different choices—swap broccoli for zucchini, and carrots for mushrooms, if you like. And you can also adjust the seasonings based on your preference—if you don’t like the heat, reduce the jalapeño and chili powder; if you like it hot, bring it on!
This is a wonderful, family-friendly, interactive meal, too. Prepare the fajitas and serve them in a hot skillet, with the toppings—guacamole, salsa, beans—on the side. Let people create their fajita tortilla the way they like it. Best of all, this easy recipe is a one-dish meal, providing all of the elements of a healthy balanced meal in one recipe. Let my easy vegetable fajita recipe kick off a healthy, plant-based meal everyone will enjoy!
Watch how to make these fajitas in my recipe video:
Check out my Instagram Live Plant-Based Cooking Class where I cooked up this recipe in my own home kitchen in Ojai!
This classic, Vegetable Fajita recipe is inspired by Mexican food traditions; packed with zucchini, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, and spices, serve it with beans and tortillas for a plant-based (vegan), gluten-free meal you can get on the table in 20 minutes.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 small summer squash (zucchini or yellow squash)
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 (15-ounce) can (about 2 cups) red beans (i.e., pinto, cranberry, red, kidney)
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup prepared guacamole (or 1 avocado, sliced)
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 cup plant-based sour cream (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet (cast iron works best).
- Add onion, bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, jalapeno and sauté for about 10 minutes, until just tender.
- Add lemon juice, cumin, chili powder, and stir well.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- To serve, fill each plate with two warm corn tortillas, 1 3/4 cups vegetable fajita mixture, 1/2 cup beans, 1/4 cup guacamole (or 1/4 avocado slices), 1/4 cup salsa, and 1/4 cup plant-based sour cream (optional).
- Makes 4 servings, 2 filled tortillas per serving.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 385
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 660 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 63 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: fajitas, vegetable, mexican food
For other traditional Mexican-inspired recipes, check out some of my favorites:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.