Looking for an easy, vegan comfort meal-in-one? I’ve got your number with these easy, individual Green Bean Mushroom Pot Pies with Mashed Potatoes. Filled with veggies—green beans, mushrooms, onions—protein-rich tempeh, and a creamy sauce, these savory mini mushroom pot pies are topped with whipped potatoes and browned in the oven. Hmm, talk about delicious! You can also make one large family-sized meal by using a casserole dish for the stew, and topping it with those creamy mashed potatoes. The next time you’re making mashed potatoes, make a big batch and save the leftovers for this recipe and you can make it no time. This is one of my family’s favorite recipes of all time. From my kitchen to yours, I hope you enjoy it!
Filled with veggies—green beans, mushrooms, onions—protein-rich tempeh, and a creamy sauce, these savory vegan mini pots of stew are topped with whipped potatoes and browned in the oven.
Mashed Potato Topping:
- 5 medium (5 ounces each) potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1/3 – ¾ cup plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- Salt and pepper, as desired (optional)
Green Bean Mushroom Filling:
- To make Mashed Potatoes: Fill a medium pot with water, bring it to a boil, and add potatoes. Cover, and cook over medium heat for about 25 minutes, until potatoes are tender but still retain their shape. Drain, and add vegan margarine and mash potatoes with a potato masher, adding just enough plant-based milk to make a creamy texture. Make sure to create a texture thin enough to smooth over the surface of the pot pies. Season as desired with salt and pepper. Set aside. (Makes about 3 ½ cups)
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare the Green Bean Mushroom Filling.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, and green beans, and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add mushrooms, tempeh, poultry seasoning, celery salt, dried mustard, black pepper, parsley flakes, and sea salt (optional). Sauté for an additional 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, mix together broth, plant-based milk, soy sauce, and flour.
- Add to sauté pan and stir well. Simmer, covered, stirring frequently, for an additional 5 minutes, until vegetables are just crisp tender. (Makes about 6 cups).
- While vegetables are simmering, preheat oven to 400 F.
- Divide vegetable stew among 4 oven-proof soup or mini-casserole dishes (about 1 ½ cups per bowl). Top each dish with one-fourth of the mashed potatoes (about 3/4 cup each), smoothing over surface of stew. Alternatively, you may place all of the stew into one 2-quart baking dish, and top with all of the mashed potatoes.
- Place the dishes on the top rack of the oven and heat for about 15-20 minutes, until mixture is golden on top.
- Remove, garnish with chopped chives, and serve immediately.
- Makes 4 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 485
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 731 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 76 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 20 g
Keywords: vegan comfort food, comfort food, shepherd pie
For other plant-based comfort foods, check out:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.