This fragrant flavorful creamy chickpea curry dish is rich in the flavors of India, including turmeric, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, and garam masala. A light coconut milk sauce adds a velvety texture to this sauce, which is brimming with the nutrition power of chickpeas, a traditional pulse ingredient filled with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Serve it with your favorite cooked whole grain, such as brown rice, wild rice, sorghum, or millet, to make this a meal in one.
This fragrant, flavorful creamy chickpea curry dish (which is vegan and gluten-free) is rich in the flavors of turmeric, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, and garam masala with a light coconut milk sauce and hearty chickpeas.
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Place onion, chili, ginger, garlic, turmeric, garam masala, cumin, coriander, mustard, salt (optional), black pepper, and brown sugar in the container of a food processor or high-powdered blender. Process for a few minutes, until very smooth, and makes a paste.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, and add seasoning paste to the pan, sautéing for 3 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn.
- Add coconut milk and tomato paste, reduce heat to medium low, and stir well while heating for 4 minutes, until sauce is thick, creamy and bubbling.
- Add the chickpeas, stirring well to combine, and cook, stirring frequently, over medium-low heat, for 4-5 minutes, until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve over cooked whole grains (i.e. brown rice, sorghum, quinoa, millet) as desired.
- Makes 8 servings (about ¾ cup chickpea curry per serving)
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: curry, vegan curry, healthy curry
For other classic Indian recipes, check out a few of my favorite recipes:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.