I love the hearty, simple flavors of this plant-friendly, one-dish meal for Sweet Potato Black Bean Bake, which pays tribute to the amazing cuisine of Central America. Peppers, sweet potatoes (you can use any type you prefer, from orange to white to purple), black beans, onions, cilantro, and cumin are at the heart of this bake, which is essentially a meal in one. Just slice up your veggies, pour in the canned beans and seasonings, give it a stir, pop the dish in the oven, and dinner is served in no time! With only 10 ingredients, which you may have in your pantry right now, you can get this in the oven in about 10 minutes. It’s also great the next day as leftovers.
This super easy, one-dish meal, plant-based Sweet Potato Black Bean Bake honors the traditional flavors of Central America.
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup medium salsa
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher salt (as desired, optional)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spray a medium baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place sweet potatoes, onions, bell peppers, and black beans in the dish and stir gently.
- Mix together lemon juice, salsa, olive oil, garlic, cumin, allspice, black pepper, and salt (optional in a small dish).
- Mix salsa mixture into vegetable mixture.
- Place in oven (uncovered) and bake for 50-60 minutes until vegetables are tender and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American, Central American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 117 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 8 g
Keywords: sweet potato, vegan entree, black bean recipe
For other healthful plant-based entrees, check out:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.