The dreamy blue shade of these easy, 7-ingredient, vegan cheesecake squares comes from butterfly pea flowers. I first discovered these pretty flowers when I was traveling to learn more about the history and nutritional properties of teas. This naturally-grown, edible flower is a traditional food in Thai cuisine, where it is often used as a tea, beverage, and culinary ingredient. I observed how these pretty blue-violet flowers are grown, as well as how they are used in recipes while I visited Thailand and studied the food culture there. I bought dried butterfly pea flowers to bring home in my cooking, but you can also find them in well stocked food stores and online. This recipe is so easy, but just amazingly delicious too. Light in sugar and containing only a few ingredients—cashews, coconut cream, a hint of agave, graham cracker crust, and of course butterfly pea flowers—you can whip this up in 15 minutes. Pop it in the freezer and serve it ice cold, or slightly thawed out, depending on your preference. I like to garnish these vegan cheesecake squares with blueberries and edible pansies from my garden—but you can get creative and serve this with other berries, dark chocolate, coconut sprinkles—the dreamy blue sky is the limit!
Make these dreamy blue vegan cheesecake squares with the help of gorgeous edible butterfly pea flowers, as well as coconut, cashews, and a graham cracker crust.
Butterfly Pea Flower Filling:
Graham Cracker Crust:
- ½ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Place cashews in a dish and cover with water. Let soak at room temperature for 1 hour (or try quick soak method by soaking cashews in 1 cup boiling water for 15 minutes). Drain off water.
- Place soaked, drained cashews in a blender or food processor container. Add coconut cream, vanilla, butterfly pea flowers and agave nectar. Process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- To prepare graham cracker crust: Place graham cracker squares in a blender and processing until they form crumbs.
- Place graham cracker crumbs in a mixing bowl. Add melted coconut oil and mix well.
- Line a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Press the graham cracker crumb crust into the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon over the filling and spread with a spatula to create a smooth, even surface.
- Cover and place in the freezer for about 2 hours prior to serving.
- Slice into 16 squares. Place on platter and garnish with blueberries. Serve immediately. May serve frozen or slightly defrosted.
Make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free graham cracker crumbs.
*Buy dried butterfly pea flower online or in Asian markets.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American, Thai
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 184
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 43 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: vegan dessert, vegan cheesecake, easy vegan cheesecake
For other delicious plant-based desserts, try:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.