You don’t have to limit the main ingredient in your hummus (or bean dip) to only chickpeas. You can call upon just about any pulse to do the trick. And white beans are particularly useful, as this mild, creamy bean pairs so well with other flavors, such as crisp, spicy radishes in these easy open-face radish and white bean toasts. This recipe was inspired by the open face radish sandwiches served in Europe. I am a huge fan of making my own hummus and bean dips, as you can get such powerful flavors and healthy nutrition lineups compared to store-bought varieties. And it’s easy as one, two, three when you have a food processor or blender.
The bean dip contains only 4 ingredients (outside of pantry staples), and the entire recipe for Radish White Bean Toasts contains only 7 ingredients. All in all, you can get this recipe on the table in under 10 minutes. Beans offer a nice dose of fiber, plant proteins, and essential vitamins and minerals, while the whole grain bread provide even more fiber and nutrients, and the radishes offer a crunchy cache of antioxidant nutrients. Essentially, these little toasts are a meal in one.
You can serve this recipes as the perfect, pretty appetizer, breakfast or brunch feature, or light lunch or dinner paired with a hearty vegetable soup. You can also enjoy this dip on it’s own with whole grain crackers and pita or fresh veggies.
These pretty in pink open-face radish and white bean toasts are easy to whip up and satisfying for breakfast, appetizers, or a meal with soup or salad.
- 1 – 15 ounce can Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked red paprika
- Optional: pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 slices rustic whole grain bread (1 ounce each)
- 8 radishes, cleaned, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Toast slices of bread until golden on a baking sheet in the oven, or in a toaster oven or electric toaster.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together beans, olive oil, garlic, smoked red paprika and lemon juice. Mash the bean mixture with a potato masher, until mixture is thick and lumpy.
- Prepare each toast by spreading 2 ½ tablespoons of the bean spread on toast, top with one sliced radish, and garnish with 1 tablespoon parsley.
- Serve immediately. Makes 8 small appetizer servings (1 toast each). If you are enjoying this recipe as an entree, the suggested serving size is 2 toasts per serving.
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: American, European
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 257
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 120 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 45 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 15 g
Keywords: radish, toast, snack, radish toast, healthy toast
For other hummus and bean dip recipes, check out some of my favorites:
Learn about the health benefits of pulses at The Plant-Powered Dietitian.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.