Think the only way to tighten and tone your middle is to get down on the floor and struggle to do sit-ups? Think again!
There are many exercises that can be done using a chair. Some of the benefits of chair exercise includes:
- No need to get down on the floor. For those who are desk-bound most of the day, or those with physical limitations or are mobility challenged, this is an accessible way to exercise.
- Almost anyone of any fitness level, size or age can do it.
- Can be done anywhere and at any time, even in the office.
- Helps relieve tiredness and stiffness, and strengthens your body.
- Benefits your overall physical and mental health.
Besides giving your belly a flatter appearance, core work strengthens your back – which can help prevent, reduce or eliminate back pain. A stronger core can even improve your balance.
The following simple exercises can be done daily to help strengthen and stretch your spine and abdominal muscles. They will also help your shoulders and posture, and increase overall strength and flexibility.
For all exercises shown: Repeat for a total of 30-60 seconds each exercise, or whatever you can do or have time to do. Move slowly and with control. Avoid holding your breath when you tighten your abs.
Even exercising just five or 10 minutes a day can make a tremendous difference in how you feel. Why not give these moves a try right now?
Only move through the range of motion that feels right for your body. Always check with a qualified professional if you have any concerns about what exercises are appropriate for you. If you are experiencing pain, seek the advice of your medical provider before beginning an exercise program.